Thursday, June 27, 2013

Painted Tote

Painted Canvas Tote

Hello again...I wanted to share another project I made. I had this canvas tote, for years now, that the kids had used for school (they are now all in their 20's)! I use it to carry my coupons in when I hit the craft stores and thought...I need to be totin' my coupons in style...LOL! The tote had a few stains on it and two small rips in the side so I thought I would give it some new life.


This tote measures 12" high (not including the handles) x 13" wide. It is off white in color, so I painted the front with white acrylic paint with some Textile Medium mixed in. When I got to the edges I just feathered out the edges. Once the paint had dried I lightly drew my design on with a pencil. I added Textile Medium to all of my acrylic paint colors and then started filling in the design.


When I was finished painting the design I outlined everything with a black permanent fine tip pen. I let it dry over night and then turned the bag inside out so I could heat set the painted design from the 'inside' with a dry iron and a pressing cloth covering the painted design, pressing each section for about 20 seconds. You must wait 7 days for the curing to be complete before washing the item (these were the instructions for the Textile Medium I used...always check the manufactures instructions on the particular medium you may use).


  

This is the backside of the Painted Tote.


A close-up.
*My coupons now have a fun place to call home!*


Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your day!

~Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment