Friday, March 1, 2013

Altered Cigar Box

Hello All!

I belong to a scrapbooking group, here where I live, and the organizer is such a great person! She gives her whole heart into this group and we appreciate her so much!  A while back she was able to get her hands on about 100 old cigar boxes and as a result, our group shared in her haul. So, I made a keepsake box for my sister to store things in from her little granddaughter.

I used Graphic 45's 'Little Darlings' paper collection, handmade paper flowers, laces, flat-back pearls, crackle medium and pink rose ceramic drawer pulls for the feet. This was such a fun project and I'm hoping to make some more altered cigar boxes ( I have about 4 left )!

So here are some pics...


This was how the cigar box looked before altering.


This is now the top of the cigar box. In the small frame and to the right of it it says
Grandma's Keepsakes
I added handmade paper flowers, punched leaves, handmade stickpin, loops of lace and some colored sprigs. Delicate lace trims the perimeter of the box top.

I used pink acrylic paint as the base coat and applied Weathered Wood Crackle Medium over it, when it was dry. I then applied white acrylic paint over the crackle medium. I added flat-backed pearls, paper strips from the collection and delicate white lace trim all around the sides of the cigar box.


I painted the inside of the box white and on the inside of the lid I Modge Podged printed paper from the collection and then added organza ribbon so a picture or keepsake could be pinned. I added a  paper flower, some leaves and stick pin & a grunge board oval with 'Baby' stamped into it to the center. A white chain with a pearl on the end was added to the intersection of the ribbon. Tiny white glittered clothespins help attach mementos or pictures and a small cut-out from the collection dressed it up.

Thanks for visiting!

~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment